Thursday, November 11, 2010

Two Worlds Collide

Should I say it... 6 days. I said it. I truly can't believe my last week has snuck up on me...and it seems everyone else too. Its weird to be stopping life in the middle of itself, to jump onto an airplane, and fly into another life waiting for me. In a way its like a magical movie you wish you could be in. I am able to change my life in one day, be somewhere else, surround by different people, doing something completely different. If I could write life a quick letter it would look like this:
Dear life,
How did you find a way to always find me no matter where I go?
sincerely,
Laura

So as it may seem odd, I am closing yet another chapter of my life, and dusting off and re-opening the next one. I have been where I'm going before, but I know its full of new things to experience, and be apart of. I am looking forward to God's plans ahead of, and stories that now lay behind me.

a short story to end:
you know those movies you see where the men walk around with a rope and loin cloth...and thats it. They are sorta like tribal people? When you watch them, its not so weird, cause they are in they're little world, and you are watching from your cozy living room, wrapped up in a blanket, and eating popcorn. So you don't feel the need to tell them to put more clothes on...

well.

We hired an amazing garden man, that is not lacking in his gardening skills...though is definitely lacking in the clothing department. He wears a rope and a small cloth to cover
"himself" (not his (whispers...) behind). What makes the whole situation a bit difficult, is that he can't speak English and we can't speak Tamil. He is from a village, and we are from the city. Its two worlds colliding. I don't know the right way to behave, and I think he is thinking the same thing. The other day, as he worked hard outside ... I felt terrible eating. Its way harder to see a man at his age, working hard, and hardly dress...and its not in your tv screen. I knew that he didn't know when lunch was coming, because I was the only one home, and usually the people you work for here make you lunch. I knew Prahbu would be back later on to help him...but all those things combined made me feel sad for him. So I went to my room, and thought about what I give to him, and I just finally fell asleep for a nap feeling a bit helpless. I woke up, and open the bible for a second, and went to the words about clothing the naked and feeding the hungry. I got up, filled up a BIG cup of water, and open the front door. I found him lying on his back one foot propped on the other, an he turned to me, and sat up and drank some water. I then brought him a banana and apple, I didn't know if he would want pasta or something else. I just knew fruit was a safe thing to give him. Then about 30 mins later prahbu showed up, and rescued our garden man.

I don't know when or if I will ever see him again...but...I just learned that I have to forget about what makes me feel comfortable, and just do the thing that is lingering in my heart. Its good. really good.

( sidenote: found out the garden man, is very wealthy, and owns land...he just doesn't spend his money...and doesn't wear much clothing. I don't know......... the world is so much more real then we know. The movies give us a taste of reality, and sometimes I think that is easier to see, then the true picture.)

life in India. life anywhere. its full of things to experience, just be open to see them.

No comments: