Thursday, February 24, 2011

Perception can become your reality

That quote above, I have heard a few times lately. The way you perceive things, is mostly what will seem real to you. I must say that I am guilty of it, and very often it becomes reality. Though somethings in life are not as we perceive them. For example:
When I went to New Zealand, I would gaze at magazine covers, and gaze away. Not knowing who is on the cover, and since I don't know them, I don't really have a pull to buy it. Then again the women behind me, grabs a magazine and has her eyes glued to every page, as if that she knows that person very well. Perception. To her she can relate to it, cause she knows that face. I on the other hand, don't relate at all. So how can something seem important to one person, and unimportant to another. Perception.
To that lady with the magazine, she feels like that person is famous, and in her reality, she is important. It makes sense. to her.

Sometimes our eyes can show us something, and we take it as reality, though there may be two sides to the coin. Well actually most likely...there is. When that moment comes in life, when someone tells you what you perceive as real, isn't at all. First reaction: angry and wanting to prove my perception is true. (There are of course things in life, like Jesus that regardless of your perception, He is real). If that lady that was sucked into the magazine, were to turn to me, and say something like, " Isn't that shocking? Can you believe that she got a nose job?" I would kinda be like, " um... I guess, but I never saw her nose before, so I can't see much difference". I could see that lady being a bit fluster, that I interrupted her reality, with a little bit of mine.

I sometimes get lost in my own ideas, and imagine them to be real. Then today, I had a break through moment. Things look different from different views. How can you tell which one is correct? ( Of course using the answer key : Jesus and His Mighty True Word).

I sat on the couch as my mom chatted away on the phone, and I gazed out the window at a little bird. It was balancing on the top of a tree, on a tiny branch. My first thought, " How does that bird not fall over, how does he stay balanced"? Then I kept watching, hoping he would take off in flight, and I could see him do it...he didn't move...at all. In my boredom I was staring at him, and closed one eye. Then I closed the other eye, and took turns looking at the bird, one eye at a time. It was as if the bird was moving from the left, to right. I close my right eye, and he moved left, I close my left eye, and he moved right.

That was it. Unless I look through both eyes, I would have a wrong picture of reality. I would think the bird is on the left, then the right. Though with both eyes open I can clearly see, he is in the middle. I also closed both my eyes for the fun of it, and had no idea where the bird went. ha.

Its important to keep your eyes open, both of them. To get a CLEAR view of the TRUTH. We sometimes close one eye, and think something is one way, when really it isn't. We must be willing to let go of our perception of reality, and lay hold of Gods. When we start to look through both eyes at God, He will show us what is real, and true.

No comments: