Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Great Peace





Yesterday I went for a hike with my dad. We were maybe ten minutes in, and my dad stopped, and started describing how amazing nature is. As he spoke, it was as if I was hearing a book being read out loud. He said , " Look at all the different shades of green, and all the different plants, and trees... God has made so many amazing things, sometimes it is hard to even grasp fully what your eyes are seeing". I kept silent as we continued to walk, and enjoyed hearing my dad soaking up the whole thing, and then sharing it with me. I didn't realize but I am very simlar to him in that manner.




The other day a friend and I were walking through the Garden of the gods, on this stunning trail. She started sharing how, if she is in a certain part of town, Pikes Peak looks huge, and Garden of the gods seems so small. Because we were in Garden of the gods, it seemed so big now, and we couldn't even see Pikes Peak. Then I added, "I can see how God thought everything out. He wanted things to be a picture for us. It's all perception. The mountians and Garden of the gods didn't change, we changed our postion and focus. What we are focused on seems so big at the time, til we get a different view on it".After I said those things to her, I thought to myself, where did I get that thinking from?




Then after hiking with my dad the next day... I could see clearly...I am my fathers daugther.I enjoyed seeing where I got my deep thinking from...ha.




I read this verse today:


" Great peace have they who love Your law; nothing shall offend them or make them stumble". -Psalm 119:165




As I was hiking with my dad, he was wearing his glasses, and kept stumbling on rocks. ( he almost face planted into a rock...INTENSE). He told me that he could only see ahead, not around, because he glasses cut off part of this outside view. I told him to take them off, and see if that would helped. The rest of the hike, he didn't stumble at all. He even spotted a snake before I did, and I jumped back in disbelief! In all the years I have been hiking, I have never seen a snake!

What I shared with my friend in Garden of the gods, and just like that verse. As soon as my dad changed his view, it was a lot easier to hike then before.



God made his Law for us to see that we couldn't do it alone, we needed him. He then sent Jesus to fullfill the law because we couldn't, Jesus passed the test for us. The law is no longer keeping or causing us from having GREAT peace. Its our own decision to believe that Jesus brought PEACE to each of us, by fullfilling the law in Himself. Now because of what Jesus has done, we have great peace, believe it! Nothing can cause you to stumble or be offened...not even a pair of glasses, or a rock in the path.







1 comment:

Dad said...

Sweet Laura...how cool is it that God brought all these revelations about from our little stroll in the wilderness! What a blessing to have shared it with you and then to have learned even more by reading your account of it. I really liked your line about how big things appear when we're focused on them. This can be our problems or almighty God, depending what/who we're focusing on. And, you couldn't bless me more than to say you are "your father's daughter" (as I wipe the tears from my eyes)! I love you dearly...Dad xo