Monday, June 20, 2011

Wedding Time.



I started my new summer job, that I am secretly in love with. If I could marry a job, it would be this one. I get to wear all black, serve people great food, clean up, decorate, laugh, and watch two people get married! a.k.a I'm doing catering!

My first wedding was at the Fine Art Center, and I thought I was working from 3-6pm, turns out that is set up. We were there tell 11:30pm, and my arms almost fell off. I had never held a tray in my life, or served food so fancy. I only dropped one fork during clean up, and managed to keep a smile on my face.

I had to memorize the appetizers and carry them around, and act high class. I laughed as I left the catering room, to go out, they had me repeat what I was holding over and over...and it was more difficult then I imagined. " Bacon wrapped dates, with almond paste"... so many random words put together, that I have to make sound delicious.

The next goal was to carry a bread tray...a huge bread tray. One I felt, was the size of Texas. I had it balanced with one hand under the tray, and then my other hand placing the bread rolls on the salad plates...ha. I should also state there were two different rolls, and sometimes I had to go searching for the preferred roll, and not drop the whole tray on the ground and go hide. I did happen to elbow a Sargent in the head, as I walked pass with my massive tray. No harm done...

In the middle of cleaning up plates, I would talk to the people a tad bit, and ask if they enjoyed the food. Then this lady, turned and said, " You are so sweet, and have the kindest nature, you need to tell your boss for a good tip!". I told her that her saying that to me, meant more then any tip! It was a boost of encouragement!



I have worked a few more event's sense then, and learned more and more. Like: you need really good shoes, and snacks. I worked a wedding the other day, at the most beautiful venue, they had a bluegrass band play the whole night. I was loving that. It was kinda a wooden wedding, the decoration's were so thrifty and outdoors like. We get to set up the decorations, and all! During the wedding we started cleaning glasses, plates, beer bottles, napkins. etc. As I was cleaning up, I started laughing at myself. I noticed I was pointing at bottles across the room, and then going over to them, and checking if they were empty. I would point and say, " there's one..." then I'd go over, like I was going to have a conversation with a empty beer bottle, and take it for a walk to the trash can. Hilarious. I only wonder what the people I work with, think of me.

Then two nights ago I ended up working a wedding of a family friend, and they were all there celebrating. I loved having some familiar faces around as I ran from place to place, looking useful. ha, There are this gigantic tables that we have to roll out, and I'm not quite use to them yet, so as I rolled them, a few times they almost fell over. It was pretty dramatic to say the least...if I could stop and laugh out loud, I would. I try to stay professional. So I would roll the table slowly and carefully until I found a strong person, and give it to them. safety first.

I find a little time for secret dancing. While the guest are away dancing, we go and clear the tables, and I try to get my dancing in there, cause the music is so good, its hard not to do a little gig. We are not suppose to dance I don't think, cause I mean...we aren't invited to the wedding as guests. So it makes sense...




Anywho. That's it for now, I am loving summer,work,friends,yoyogurt,settlers of Catan, and how warm it is outside! God is the best planner around... ask Him to plan your day for you, He has great idea's in mind.

2 comments:

Stefan said...

Great pics ... and a cool story!!

PB said...

I LOVE your writing style, your lighthearted approach to life and reference to God as a great planner! You're the best! Love you...Dad xo